Starting in October, Emily Wessel from Tin Can Knits will be doing a book and trunk show starting in Los Angeles and traveling up the coast to Vancouver! We are so excited to be hosting Emily at our studio for an introduction to design class. If you ever wanted to try designing your own hat, this is the perfect time to get started. See all the details here:
DIY Hat – introduction to design
Hats are the perfect introduction to knit design! Join designer Emily Wessel (of Tin Can Knits) and start bringing your ideas to life. Emily will reveal her own design inspirations, offer guidance on construction methods, sizing, shaping options, and style, guide you as you begin the process!
You don’t need to be an expert, and you don’t even need to think of yourself as ‘creative’ in order to design something beautiful. Just come along, give it a try — you will surprise yourself with the results!
- Workshop is suitable for intermediate knitters.
- Class scheduled for Saturday, November 2, 2013 from 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Cost for the class is $35.
what you will make:
You will begin making a hat of your own design. Starting with a design concept and favourite stitch patterns – cables, lace, texture or colourwork – you will plan out the design and get started on the knitting!
what to bring:
- 200-300 yds DK, worsted, aran, or chunky weight yarn
- needles to suit
- a stitch dictionary (it’s even better if you pick out a few stitch patterns that you like as options for your hat design in advance of the class)
- graph paper, a pencil, and a calculator
you will learn how to:
- use pattern gauge to calculate stitch counts
- choose decreases (or increases) that work well with your chosen pattern stitch / motif
- translate your idea from concept to completed knit!
All About Emily
Emily Wessel is one half of the knit design company Tin Can Knits. She is an adventurer, traveling all over the globe with her knitting needles in hand. With a background in architecture, her lace patterns reference architectural geometries and organic rhythms found in nature. When not working on her latest design, she is zooming around on her bike or snowboard, practicing a new language or planning her next voyage.
Tin Can Knits is an independent knit design and publishing company, based in Vancouver, BC and Edinburgh, UK. Our irresistible patterns sized from baby to big (0-6 months to adult 4XL) and our commitment to excellent pattern support, have won us a loyal following of modern knitters.